Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Musings on a replacement car #6

So Sam's bought an i30 and I still really havent looked at one.

Car-Reclassify
2010 – in this year a few things were improved
$10-20,000 – Drive away price
Full Service history – indicating that is was looked after at least a little.
USB and 3.1 Audio inputs – because I don’t have many CDs Although alternatives exist
Automatic – to handle Brisbane (paddleshift pretend manual CVT sounds good)
Hatchback - To better fit my bike and stuff.

Then
  • To not hurry because the car should last 10+ years before I decide to replace it
  • Primarily Practical
  • Scenario 1: Going kitesurfing, need to fit the kiteboard 1450x440mm + bag 800x400x400mm + 1 passenger.
  • Scenario 2: Camping, swag 800x400x400mm + clothes 800x400x400mm + esky 300x600x400mm
  • Scenario 3: Comfortably drive from Bundaberg to Roma (7h, 600km) without needing to stop other than lunch
  • Scenario 4: Do I spend 90% of my time in my care alone?  Like for shopping and when it's raining and I dont want to take my bike.
  • Scenario 5: Giving 2 people a lift home from a sojourn, late at night, in the rain, with three PC's in the back, listening to Synthcore orchestral Jazz.
  • Aside from the above, Smallish and lighter: so its zippy around corners, as I don’t slow down much for them. Also smaller lighter car is better for parking and economy and power to weight ratio.
  • Zoominess / ability-to-take-corners-at-somewhat-unsafe-speeds. Because I’m old enough to know better but young enough to still do it anyway.
  • Powerpoint in boot for possible car fridge? Or miscellaneous electronica equipment
  • I wonder if I should install a Turbo?

Thus I’ll be looking for…


Mazda3 (SP25) Neo<Maxx Sport<SP20<SP25
Each model improves the car mechanically, so at least a MAXX Sport but an SP25 would be best, these have the engine from the Mazda6 installed. Second place because Levi and Tony bought Mazdas. I beleive the SP models have the engine of the Mazda6 installed.
options on carsguide

Lancer (VRX) ES<LX<VRX<Ralliart<Evolution
Each model improves the car mechanically, so get the level below Ralliart. (Ralliarts hold their value too well) Third place because they are have a really “dated” interior design. I'm not real confident about the differences in the models.
Camparing current specifications
options on carsguide options on carsales

Carsales, both the above cars within 250km of 4670


Swift (Sport)
Only the Sport is under consideration, it’s the 1.6L with full disk breaks and a sport seat. First place because it’s cheaper to run/maintain and I probably wont find one.

Toyota Corola (Ascent)
Ascent, or the Levin SX for nicer seats. mechanically there appears to be no difference.

Kia Creato (Si)
The (SLi) seems to only add trim but I may be wrong. Newer ones can come in a turbo version.

Ford Focus (Trend)
The Trend model has the same motor as the top level Titanium. The Sport has better seats than the Trend, so one of those two.
Drove the 1.6, seems to have a fair bit of go in it byt the transmission took a bit to get used to. I think I'd still prefer the 2
options on Carsales

i30 (1.8L Hatch)
Australia’s best car apparently. The brocure for these is neatly setout. the Active/Eleite/Premium only get better trim.

Impreza (any)
The smallest of the subarus, WRX seems like a good idea but probably out of my price range, apparently the AWD makes the services and maintenance expensive. But they also hold their value extreamly well.

Remembering:
RACQ Running costs
Forum topic #2 I asked about the Lancer Vs Mazda3, lots of people seem to compare these cars.
Forum topic #1 Civic Vs Swift, Prefer the swift but it has flaws.
Decepticon car badge ~$4 
?Bike rack on the boot lid is an alternative to boot space
?ROFLHarris’s Thingy is an alternative sound input and blutooth device, using a FM radio transmitter.
?Potentially add a towbar
?Potentially a 2-Way radio with some walkie talkies
Sassy seat covers
Aftermarket engine immobiliser, for the 5% discount in insurance from RACQ
?Spare key storage outside the car for when I go to the beach and stuff.
Extra electricity plug in the boot. adds the versitility of a fridge or laptop charger

The best place to get car buying advice is from somebody who is also buying a car.

Still Searching
Bundaberg Ross Gray
Bundaberg BMG
Bundaberg Coral Coast
Rockhampton DC Motors
Rockhampton norms
Rockhampton dealmakers
Rockhampton lawrence
Rockhampton Tropical
Gladstone Bill
Gladstone Anderson
Hervy Bay fcmc
Biloela Linemac


1 comment:

  1. (accidentally posted this in the other entry. Moved it here instead) Not sure how a car fridge would work in a smaller car. Absolute worst case, you could probably sweet talk Dan into helping you run the wiring for an extra 12V spot yourself. He and his Dad used to install in-car accessories for a living and I'm fairly sure he ran a cable to the back sear of his old car (and if its in the boot, you wouldn't even need to make it neat - just hide it out of sight in a corner)

    Oh, and ditch the swift. My housemate owns one. On the occasions I've ridden in the passenger seat (with the seat all the way back), my knees are usually wedged tight against the dash and I can't help but flood my mind with visions of how even a minor collision is going to trigger the airbags and dislocate both of my kneecaps.

    Hopefully picking up my car tomorrow so I'll try to give you some opinions before I bias myself with the money I've invested.

    ReplyDelete