Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Musings on a replacement car #4

Still liking the idea of an older car with service history but cant get an auto swift that way.


  • To not hurry because the car should last 10+ years before I decide to replace it
  • USB connection for stereo, to charge and play music (3.1 media jack too) Need to test.
  • Primarily Practical
  • Scenario 1: Going kitesurfing, need to fit the kiteboard 1450x440mm + bag 800x400x400mm + 1 passenger.
  • Scenario 2: Camping, swag 800x400x400mm + clothes 800x400x400mm + esky 300x600x400mm
  • Scenario 3:  Comfortably drive from Bundaberg to Roma (7h, 600km) without needing to stop other than lunch
  • Scenario 4: Do I spend 90% of my time in my care alone?  Like for shopping and when it's raining and I dont want to take my bike. May as well be sporty as a motorcycle with a raincover and safer.
  • Scenario 5: Giving 2 people a lift home from a sojourn, late at night, in the rain, with three PC's in the back, listening to Synthcore orchestral Jazz.
  • Aside from the above, Smallish and lighter: so its zippy around corners, as I don’t slow down much for them. Also smaller lighter car is better for parking and economy and power to weight ratio.
  • A newish~$20,000 or a 3yo $10,000 with Service history.
  • Auto: now seems like a fine Idea. Had a bit more practice and though it is an achievable skill I don’t feel its necessary. I can use the extra concentration to talk to people and the left hand to drink coffee whilst driving, also avoiding some of the stress of city driving.
  • Decepticon car badge ~$4
  • Powerpoint in boot for posible carfridge?
New
Suzuki swift sport $26k
other models have 1.4L engine
still on the cards because it is: Small, cheap to run & maintain, KW/kg ratio, decent to drive.
Concerned about: cabable on highway, need to trial fitting my bike in. "P" platers drive them

Mazda 3 Neo $22k
other mazda 3's only have extra trim
Pro: Levi & Tony just got one, mecanics like, everybody has one
Con: larger than swift, less economical


Civic VTI-S $24k
other models and 2013 add more trim.
pro: normal car
con: Normal car

Other:
SX4 is the smallest AWD I have seen
ix35 has a limited edition atm for $30K with heaps of extras.
Found a car choser better than the one on TopGear
i30 seems to win a lot of awards
i30 Diesel 2008 for 12K  kW/kg=0.0608
i30 Petrol 2008 for 12K  kW/kg=0.0763
Lancer sportback 2008 for 12K  kW/kg=0.0844
Mazda 3 MAXX Sport 2005 for 14K  kW/kg=0.0850 
Holden Vectra 2006 for 12K  kW/kg=0.1013 (11L/100k, worse than my current car)
and no I wasnt looking at cars for 12K I searched by year.


[Edit]
So after a bit more of a chat with Eddie, see below. And earlier in the day I had confirmed that my bike doesnt fit into a (2009) swift by about 6cm. Sure I could get roof racks for $300 from Rhino Rack. or for $380 a towbar kit can be installed from TowbarsAustralia I suppose then I would also get the wiring for a power socket in the boot. But then apparently I dont need a towbar per say. Seems here I have a choice of three that attatch to the frame of the hatch, the one that doesnt obsure anything costs $360.
Anyway thats just not going to be neat and is enough of a motivation for me to focus on 2nd hand cars. Though I may be swayed if I can drive an Auto Swift Sport.

3 comments:

  1. i30 is what Eddie drives - so maybe talk to him for opinions on:

    -Highway driving from someone who makes the trip from Bundy to Brisbane every now and then

    -Fuel efficiency and parkability from someone who lives in Brisbane

    -Roominess from someone bigger than you

    -Zoominess / ability-to-take-corners-at-somewhat-unsafe-speeds from someone who drives like a Brisbane driver who has also been trained to drive ambulances in a skid pan

    -Value from someone who will almost certainly be biased because they spent $15 grand of their own money on an investment and will therefore have to convince themselves that it was a worthwhile purchase.

    and then post all of that stuff here because - as I mentioned in the last post - the best people to get car opinions from are those who haven't purchased them yet, since they're less biased. Since I'm looking at upgrading a commodore that's only a year or two older than your own and have many of the same requirements, I'm letting you do the legwork.

    Also, I can attest to the i30's USB / 3.5mm jack audio connectivity because I remember loading up a flash drive with 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun', putting it in his car and turning the radio right up while he was asleep at a LAN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Eddie:

      Couldnt reply from my phone so I'll Facebook it instead ... I30 is a great car haven't found a fault with mine in 4years ... Has 3.5mm and USB input , highway driving is comfortable although I would get cruise control mine doesn't have it but I wish it did during the last couple km of a trip to bundy , 55l tank gets 450kms around town (Brisbane) 600+ on highway desiel is even better fuel wise but not as zippy. Gotta go to class now.

      It has plenty of boot space and the back seats lay down flat not sure if it would fit kite surfing stuff tho
      I find it easy to park but I park ambulances so it is no challenge
      Has 12v power in boot

      Lots of room for tall people was the easiest car of that size for me to fit in.

      Delete
    2. Looks to be the 'SLX' model that has cruise control, where as the SX (or ones before 'mid-2008') don't. Just a heads up, if you go a bit over the 12K mark, I found a 2009 SLX with <70 000 kms (http://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for-sale/D_1216426/used-2009-HYUNDAI-I30-SLX-FD-MY09-Automatic-Unleaded-Hatchback-in-QLD---Sunshine-Coast.html)

      Delete